Monday, September 14, 2009

And then I ate a Turkey Sandwich in the Bathtub












































So here it is. My first blog. I know you're excited. As previously stated, this blog revolves around the idea that everyone is on a hunt. Maybe you are on the hunt for success or maybe, like us, you are on the hunt for a crystal squirrel. But why a crystal squirrel? The question rather is why not. We are a society engrossed with new possesions, Ging and I, however, are fascinated with what already exists and what has already been owned by another. 

So why not start in our own backyard? We have so far traveled the great span of Hillsborough and Raleigh (and some nooks and crannys in between) with some admittedly great finds. Above I have added some of my most recent finds at the flea market in raleigh, but I must admit that most of our best finds were actually the characters we met along the way.

I honestly think you could find some of the answers to life at a flea market. The people who man the stands are there for more than the junk spread out before them. These people are family. Some going back years with those who inhabit the stands around them and some who are family in the way that they share their love of the hunt just as much as the 90-year-old carpenter two stands down. These are the people who want to find their items a good home. True craftsman if you ask me. 

Among the characters we found last saturday were as follows:

A man with gold trinkets
An overly eager mirror salesman
A vintage fabric aficionado
A texting loving/missing tooth sporting/haggling spirit of a woman
A talented old carpenter who could talk for days
A crazy old hippie man with a large umbrella

Each person we met makes me wonder, how the heck do these people start acquiring some of this crap? Yeah, that's right - I can call it crap because I eat that kind of shit up. My trinkets, for example, were set out amongst about 40 other gold imitators on a small little table. The man obviously inherited from a trinket loving spirit and was more that willing to give me three for the price of one highly coveted top banana. 

In a matter of ten minutes I had a conversation with a woman about my "fastest fingers in the east" when she witnessed my furious texting and one with a woman about how all of her purses in the '50s had mirrors included. Maybe that is what I like most about this new endeavor, the hunt lasts a person's entire life and therefore brings people of all ages together on a hot summer day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment